Why the Term “Girl Gamer” Does More Harm Than Good

Felecia Day Comic Con

For as long as there have been games there have been both men and women who play them. With the rise of Twitch and Youtube, the gaming community is larger and stronger now than it ever has been, but there’s a bit of a problem. Girl Gamers. The problem isn’t with girls who game, but rather the title of “Girl Gamer” itself. This one is going to get very controversial and very opinion-heavy, kids, so buckle up.

Overwatch Zarya Screenshot

As a woman in the gaming community, I have come across all manner of people. Many couldn’t care less what gender I am and for that I am grateful. However, I have gotten the “OMG A GRILL! &!#$?”, the ever-popular “Lol there’s no such thing as a girl that plays games” and my personal favorite “does your boyfriend make you play this?” I’m not here to whine about idiots in game culture though. I’m here to talk about why women should stop embracing the Girl Gamer title.

Girl Gamer, Gamer Girl, Girly Gamer, Chick Gamer, whatever the title it’s completely unnecessary. What a label like this does, whether you sport it proudly or not, is put you in a box. You are essentially giving everyone that comes across you permission to define you by your gender and therefore judge you based on it. The saying “You’re pretty good for a girl” only exists because we allow people to keep using it.

The Witcher 3 Ciri

It is certainly fine to be proud of being a woman in the gaming community or industry, but building your entire identity around being a girl is a lot like building your identity around the color of your skin. In reality, it should have no effect on your skills, your passions, or your hobbies. And you certainly shouldn’t be judged by it. The more women embrace this title, the more we as a collective are being held to ridiculous stereotypes and seen as an entirely separate entity. That’s a big problem. If we don’t strive for an equal place in the community then why would we be given one?

The idea behind the gaming community is that it’s just that – a community. It’s a space for like-minded individuals to congregate and chat about a thing that they love. Essentially, sticking a “Girl” label on yourself is drawing attention away from the one word that really matters: “Gamer”.

Categories
DiscussionFeaturedNewsTwitch.tv

Ashley was introduced to the world of video games by her Nerd-Family. A lover of all things RPG and MMO, she's a self-proclaimed alt-oholic and is constantly dreaming up new characters and the background stories for them. She's obsessed with the High Fantasy genre and thus plays a lot of the Elder Scrolls, Dragon Age, and Witcher series.
8 Comments on this post.
  • asbo-5
    25 April 2017 at 12:45 am

Oh lord…. please stfu. Suck it up and deal with it bitch

• SurvivorOne
    25 April 2017 at 2:30 am

I’m a girl and I’m a gamer and I’ve NEVER had a guy give me shit for being girl who likes gaming. I think this chicks trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill.

• Goldstein meyer
    25 April 2017 at 5:53 am

Why can’t these western whores just stay quiet for like 4 days without trying to spread a controversy or another “how to fix patriarchy?”
    Just stop being hysterical

• greg muller
    25 April 2017 at 6:59 am

Western journalism is nothing more than a parody of british tabloids at this point.
    Title: Why you should stop calling gamer girls you sexist assholes can’t you see you are literally Hitler?

• JoegyVa
    25 April 2017 at 8:45 am

Oh shut up……….liberal hipster

• Mario Vargaz
    25 April 2017 at 9:38 am

I agree with what Greg has said above

• RabbitFly
    25 April 2017 at 10:41 am

The problem with this article is that it assumes the title “girl gamer” exists to exclude individuals from the title of “gamer”.

I would argue that it has less to do with excluding them from the title of “gamer” and more to do with excluding them from the title of “girl”

You have to understand that most male gamers are met with hostility and negativity when it comes to sharing their favorite past time with the females in their life. You might argue that this is not true and generalizing. Even so it’s just an example to prove a point.

For these boys/men the term girl gamer is just as much a term of endearment. Showing excitement over finding a female to share their favorite thing with. Be it in a platonic relationship or not.

In fact I think this is one of the first times I have seen someone use the term Girl gamer as anything other than a badge of honor.

• DAN
    25 April 2017 at 12:38 pm

I dont know the author history but article seems simple and kinda right, calling a player by it’s gender (I gotta say it’s also natural since majority of players are male) even though it’s not a big deal but still