Is There A Shortage of Healers In Final Fantasy XIV?

FINAL FANTASY XIV
Image: Twinfinite

When it comes to MMORPGs, there are certain inherent things that many expect to happen. There’s going to be a lot to do in the game, there’s going to be solo and multiplayer content, and when it comes to classes/jobs, there will be many to choose from. And all of that is true in Final Fantasy XIV. However, as some players are discovering right now, just because there are a lot of class/job options doesn’t mean that players will pick the ones they need.

This comes from Final Fantasy XIV player and forum user Nabian. He notes that recently he’s had a very hard time finding a healer for his static raid group. And in fact, he’s been looking for a replacement ever since the beginning of Omega. Now, to be clear, he has gone through the proper channels of trying to find a good healer for his group, including going to the Group Finder. However, no matter where he looks, all the healers he finds are either spoken for, or aren’t up to the level he needs. He can find plenty of other classes, like tanks, but not healers. Which has led him to wonder:

“Is the issue that many of the good healers are already spoken for, or is there truly a shortage of healers?”

Final Fantasy XIV

It’s an interesting question, and one that others on the Final Fantasy XIV forum were happy to answer. Many noted that it is indeed hard to find a healer, let alone a replacement healer, in the game nowadays. Ironically, this wasn’t an issue early on in the games run, but recently has become a serious problem.

A few noted that it may have been the recent Stormblood expansion that led to this scarcity, as new jobs made it better to switch over to something else rather than be a pure healer. What do you think? Is there a healer problem in Final Fantasy XIV? Let us know in the comments below.

Categories
DiscussionFinal FantasyFinal Fantasy XIVMMORPG

I am a writer, reader, dreamer, and believer that games and cartoons and comics aren't a bad way to live. I am passionate about what I love, but do respect the opinions of others when they conflict with my own. But if you don't like Nintendo, you're going down! lol
21 Comments on this post.
  • D LUNiz
    12 August 2017 at 6:12 pm

It’s the same issue as with hiring for IRL jobs

No one wants to train, just want people ready to hit the ground running. Which ignores they are likely already working somewhere

• Vanitas
    12 August 2017 at 6:23 pm

I got all three healers up to 60 before Stormblood, and while I know I’m not the best, I wasn’t the worst healer. A large factor for many I’ve talked to is of all three roles, healing gets crapped on the most it seems because a lot of healers do not also DPS or if they do, they don’t DPS enough. It’s easy to get discouraged and find something else to play in a different role and not get yelled at all the time in the higher-tier content. I admit I stopped trying to heal in Alexander stuff because no matter how great I was doing, if we wiped or didn’t meet a check, the blame would ALWAYS be put on us. Not the DPS who would screw up rotations or just couldn’t damage enough by themselves, not the tanks for not coordinating their pulls and tank mechanics. It was 7 out of 10 times always our fault. And now especially with Red Mage who can S.O.S. heal, it’s kinda hard to go back.

• Dalque
      13 August 2017 at 4:57 pm

I agree, as a level 70 ast who is moderate geared and the new changes to stormblood in reguards to damage, its hard to get a group that doesn’t blame the healer for everything. With the two new dps jobs the rotation is simple and put out loads of dps to where they are more enticing. I find myself pulling to rdm more and more

• Griffin
    12 August 2017 at 6:28 pm

Healers are scarce because it is very difficult to play solo as a healer considering their DPS is low, if the Gamemakers upped their DPS ability you would see more healers

• Mindy
      15 August 2017 at 8:20 pm

As a healer main I can tell you it is NOT the solo play making them scarce. We can get through that fine, people being dicks about everything on the other hand during group play isn’t fun.

• Bacon Sandwich
    12 August 2017 at 9:54 pm

I main WHM, and since Stormblood was released I have seen very few healers. So few in fact my queue for anything is almost instant pop. Which is fine by me.
    So, yeah I would say there aren’t as many people playing healing class, but I don’t think we are hurting in any way.

• Nico (MCH/Sch)
    12 August 2017 at 10:19 pm

I feel like this varies fairly heavily by server as well. I have DD friends on another server that will be waiting 40 minutes for a healer in roulette, while my queues tend to max around 15.
    It may get better in time as well, as the new jobs lose some of their luster and more people clear 4.0 and begin to level up other classes.
    I do agree with other comments that it can be tough to heal. You’re usually the one to get blamed for failures, and with some of the changes to healers with 4.0 (SCH especially), these jobs may get shelved in favor of reaching 70 with another class first. Over time, I feel things will balance out again, especially with the influence of cross world parties.

• P3rfekt
    13 August 2017 at 2:58 pm

I think that some people think that it is less stressful to DD than heal for end-game content. I am a decent healer but we sometimes do wipe because I have to heal the DD who stand still and do not move for anything, this happens a lot.

• Ori
    13 August 2017 at 3:07 pm

I can only speak for myself, obviously.
    Been healing in many MMOs since EQ Kunark days.

A few things have never changed since 1999:
    – leveling healers is slow (hyper low dps)
    – very little DPS variety(cast the same spell x10000 every single expansion)
    – tons of group pressure to know content
    – nearly purely to blame for other’s mistakes.
    – our own mistakes often mean a wipe
    – healing gear is not soloing gear
    – we have like choice in how we play our class since we need to react how others play thiers.
    – mana comes and goes with each MMO and each expansion.

I love how healing as white made works in FF14 right now.. but leveling up casting nothing but Stone again is boring, so I left for now.

And that is pretty much how it happens in most MMOs. Either I can get through the healer leveling grind it I can’t.

• Anthonywgray
    14 August 2017 at 2:11 am

The better is, “Why heal when you can turn your brain off and play a dps?”

• jennifer
    14 August 2017 at 5:01 pm

I used to love being a healer, but in this game you get blamed for everything. You get blamed for the DPS or tanks not knowing the mechanics and DPS standing in the AoEs, while you’re keeping the tanks alive and healing through the unavoidable attacks. I already have a high stress job, I don’t want to come home from work and have jerks adding to the stress by yelling at me when I’m healing their ungrateful booties. So I main SMN. I’ll still heal for my friends and level up my other healing jobs for them, but I gotta be in a masochistic mood if I do end game healing for myself. There’s probably lots of healers, but they’d rather not take the abuse, so they play other jobs.

• WHM Healz
    14 August 2017 at 5:14 pm

I main a white mage and everyone here has made good points. I’ve picked up other classes because I’m sick of getting blamed when the tank runs off and I can’t keep up(or heal through walls). Or when the dps think they are invincible. People expect you, as a healer, to run specific powers to benefit them, so you don’t get to play around with your powers. Becomes a boring routine.

• Edgedy
    14 August 2017 at 5:20 pm

There’s a number of problems.

First of all Scholar doesn’t work for this raid tier, the nerfs to it were significant enough to make AST and WHM the current raid META.

Second, they stripped White Mage. It may be the ‘best’ because of a few additions but many players are still reeling from the fact that it was gutted and lost a number of their spells to other jobs. (15 in total lost since 3.55)

Finally, this raid tier no longer suffers from a lack of DPS or tank mitigation, so now more raiders in circulation means there needs to be more healer. It’s more that people are having fun playing DPS then they are playing healer, many of the healer mains switched.

• Pubstarhero
      15 August 2017 at 8:22 pm

Yeahno. We’re clearing Omega Savage fine with WHM/SCH. SCH just has a higher skill cap to be played at the 3.0 level.

• WHM main
    14 August 2017 at 6:49 pm

I am a main heal myself. When I have been living I have dealt with all the thing posted in the comments.

Healers will get dumped on for everything from DPS and Tanks. I have also been the healer in a 8 man raid which has 2 healers and I would be the only healer healing the team. So when we did wipe the other healer would say I was not doing anything so I almost got kicked cause of them.

• Jihli
    14 August 2017 at 7:56 pm

I’m always a healer, people had comments that I sometimes don’t dps, or not enough, but I was annoyed with switching to cleric stance on ps4. But I don’t care I heal and since stormblood I fight more. I love healing ❤

• Lauralina icefang
    14 August 2017 at 9:45 pm

The horrible thing is, I was and am a main SCH since 2.1 . Nowadays, healers are quite rare, I agrre. But for us SCH, we are disappointed by numerous people while trying Omega Savage mode : as a SCH, it’s a pain to find a V3s group, since for the majority they ask a WHM/AST duo… For all of those who loves SCH, it’s heartbreaking, and therefore we reorient ourselves to tank or DPS

• WHM Main
    15 August 2017 at 6:19 am

Basically the same as some of the others have said – healers are getting blamed for everything, so no one wants to be one.

I’ve main healed as a sub for two diff friends’ raids- one having progressed up to v4s’ first enrage while I was subbing in, even. But would I do that for randoms? No. Because I’ve seen plenty of the abuse we healers are dealt, even in simple dungeons.

The last thing I want to deal with in a high stress raid healing situation is getting blamed for others’ mistakes, especially when I’m doing my best not to make my own. If you screw up (whether it’s low DPS, missed cooldown, or standing in bad), own it and try to correct it. Don’t blame the healers.

• Qukoh’ya
    15 August 2017 at 2:12 pm

I am not surprised. Toxicity towards healers is what f*ks the game up. Not the release of Stormblood. The shortage of healers can be directly traced back to years and years of harrassment to healers, even if they do their job correctly. They are always the one blamed. You want more healers? Work on your respect to other players and maybe then people will consider it again. (I’m DPS btw, so no my opinion is not one sided or influenced. This is a full neutral explenation of what I seen happen around me in game)

• Pubstarhero
    15 August 2017 at 8:23 pm

In Need: Tank

Every queue. No there is not a healer shortage. Still us tanks.

• Aridian
    16 August 2017 at 10:46 am

Second verse same as the first: the community has become SO toxic to healers (even from other healers) that no one wants to deal with that anymore. As soon as I reached end game content in Heavensward I switched to DPS, and though I heal for my static in Stormblood (who are all really cool people) I would never for anyone else. The quality of players has really dropped recently.